As always, my list is about listenability. These are the heaviest rotations for 2012.
Sharon Van Etten - "Tramp" (Indie Rock / Folk)
Beautiful voice and great melodies. Strong throughout.
Gary Clark Jr. - "Blak & Blu" (Texas Blues / Blues Rock)
Phenomenal guitarist. Look for him to reach the levels of Clapton and Buddy Guy in short order. People are already taking serious notice.
10. Tame Impala - "Lonerism" (Psychedelic Rock / Space Rock)
Took a few times but these psychedelic textures get catchier by the play.
9. Lord Huron - "Lonesome Dreams" (Alt. Folk)
Hypnotic, addictive alt-folk melodies.
8.The Walkmen - "Heaven" (Indie Rock)
7. Grizzly Bear - "Shields" (Indie Rock)
6. Dusted - "Total Dust" (Alt Indie Rock)
Brian Borcherdt formerly of By Divine Right and from Holy Fuck joins drummer from Death From Above 1979 for this fuzzy, raw and moody outing.
5. Alt J - "An Awesome Wave" (Indie Pop / Art Rock / Folktronica)
Hard to put a finger on the genre but this was really diverse and different sounding resulting in a lot of plays.
4. John Frusciante - "Letur Lefr" EP (Progressive Synth Pop)
JF's run of solo records while in the Chili's were some of my favourite records of the past ten years. This is only an EP but is a little more accessible than his other release of the year PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone (which I like a lot too). But the textures of blending electronica, guitar, hip hop and other elements resulted in a great collection of songs that I cranked often.
3. The XX - "Coexist" (Indie Pop)
Follow up to their fantastic debut record.
2. Cuff The Duke - "Union" (Alt-Country / Indie Rock)
Second year in a row in the top ten for CTD after last years Morning Comes...the first in a two part release ending with Union. Excellent musically and lyrically.
1. Jack White - "Blunderbuss" (Blues Rock / Garage Rock)
From top to bottom simply my most listenable record of the year. Bluesy, crunchy, very tight.